Tuesday, January 1, 2013

[Life of Pi] ... before the read

I'd like to share a few thoughts about the book before I open the front cover.

I chose this book because...
I grabbed this book at Goodwill several months ago and the recent movie (which I have still not seen) reminded me that it still sits on the bookshelf collecting dust. I have loved every bit of Indian culture I've encountered -- from writings on Eastern philosophy ([Tao of Pooh]) to Bollywood movies to saris to [The God of Small Things] -- and am excited to travel back to the country! (I also suspect I can finish this one up in time to read [A Memory of Light] when it releases on January 8.)

The title brings to mind...
...the mathematical principle of π, an idea which has caused centuries of confuzzlement throughout the world. Its seemingly random digits have formed the basis of many nerdy memorization contests (the nerdy equivalent of the staring contest -- itself too difficult to execute from behind Coke-bottle glasses), though no one has been able to harness its true essence. The "life" of pi is a long one without an end in sight.
The author seems...
...like a pretty cool dude, whose mundane "career path" and "useless" degree tempered his writing style and led to this distinguished book. Here's hoping my digestion of fiction and rut of a job lead me down a similar path.
And off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment